Friday, March 18, 2011

First Dress to Sew!

So my mom and niece have been here in Nac with me all week.  It's been fun!  I have been wanting my mom to come spend some time with me so she could teach me to sew!  We finally got to spend an afternoon sewing.  Challenging at times with a 3 1/2 year old wanting to help.  So a friend of mine sent me a Facebook message today-telling me she wanted me to learn how to make pillowcase dresses.  I have been wanting to-so I decided that this would be the sewing lesson mom could give me.

After a trip to Chick-fila, we were off to Hobby Lobby!  Oh how I hated those stores when I was little.  Although back then it was Hancocks, but this town doesn't have one of those!  I decided that I would make a dress for Aly-which she is picky about her clothes so she might not wear it!  We picked out the pattern and then decided on the fabric.  Once at home we laid out the cutting board and mom walked me through the steps of the pattern process!  I am a visual hands on verbal learner so reading a pattern is not easy for me!  We got it cut out and off to the sewing machine I went.  It was going good until mom told me I was sewing at Grandma speed!  You have to remember I am new to this and I am picky...it has to be just right.

It was easier than I thought and the challenge really was Alyssa Claire wanting to help!  I think she cleaned me out of my scrap basket!  Mom would get me started and then go entertain her and then come back to walk me through the next step.  Didn't take me as long as I thought it would and I think the final result is just precious!  I don't know what I enjoyed more the quality time with my mom or learning to sew!  I would have to say it was probably the quality time with mom.

So I have had a busy week with mom and Aly and I am sad they are leaving tomorrow.  I don't know what I am going to do with myself without them.  I guess I will try my hand alone at another dress to see if I can do it on my own...Stayed tuned to see how that one turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment